Largemouth Bass Lineup

Largemouth Bass Lineup

Friday, February 13, 2015

Quad Solid Glass

Recently, I was able to acquire a Wright and McGill Panfish PF 7 fly rod rated for 6 or 7 weight line. Why is this rod special or different?  Well not only is it for panfish but it is quad solid Kyla fiberglass rod.  That's right, a solid square fiberglass fly rod.  How often do you see that?  This was the first one I'd ever seen!  Sadly, I have not been able to locate a date for this rod.  I have had people tell me it was made anywhere from the mid 50s to the mid 60s.  I'm just not sure.  Regardless, I really think it's a very neat rod.  The rod is very unique not only in its square design but that it has what one might call mismatching parts.....on purpose.  The reel seat is green yet it has a silver hood and locking nut.  It has multicolored wraps which I've heard called clown wraps.  They include the colors orange, red, green, yellow and black.  One wrap might start with say yellow while the next series might start with green.  Every single wrap is different in the order of the colors used.  Craziness.  The cork looks beat up and this rod is missing a chunk but from what I have seen, the cork actually might have come like this.  It does appear as though the wraps for the hook keeper have been replaced.  Overall this rod is in pretty good condition for its age and I look forward to using it when I can finally fish again.  I am happy to have added this gem to the arsenal.













No comments:

Post a Comment