Largemouth Bass Lineup

Largemouth Bass Lineup

Monday, August 26, 2013

Vintage Fly Rod

In May of this year I managed to pick up a fiberglass rod for 10 dollars at my local fly shop.  For those that don't know, I made the switch to glass last year.  It is primarily what I fish nowadays.  I love it.  Glass is so different than graphite.  If you haven't tried glass lately, give it a whirl.  You can pick up an Eagle Claw Featherlight for between 30-45 dollars.  Well worth the money.  So I'm in the fly shop and I notice a fly rod hanging on the wall.  I asked the owner if it was for sale.  He said 10 dollars and its yours.  Apparently it was a gift but he is not a glass guy so he was looking to unload it.  For 10 dollars I couldn't past it up.

I posted some photos on the Fiberglass Flyrodders Forum and learned some really neat info on the rod.  According to one individual "You have Montague glass rod from the early 50s. Probably that rod was made in the Montague plant. Many of those Montague decals did not last well, but yours is in prime condition. I would guess the rod was not used too much. By the mid 50s True Temper had purchased the Montague glass production facilities.  In the early 50s you would cast a few lines with a given rod and stick with the one that worked best. That is still the best way to go. Try some 6/7 weight lines and see what you think. The Holloglass might need something lighter or heavier. It all depends on how it feels to you."  

I have to say that I am very excited about this rod.  While it does have some damage to the cork courtesy of some mice I am guessing, it is very neat.  On one hand I want to try it, but on the other I simply don't know.  What do you all think?  Should I?  Here is another ink to info regarding Montague Rods 








1 comment:

  1. Good question. I would give it the honor of a cast or two on a trip just for the beauty of it. Why not? Should be used as a conversation piece probably. For what it is worth, I love glass and am excited as all get out when I fish my basic Eagle Claw Featherlight.

    ReplyDelete