Largemouth Bass Lineup

Largemouth Bass Lineup

Saturday, August 17, 2013

Beaver Island Wrap Up-Pros/Cons/Lessons Learned



I got up on Thursday, July 11th, both happy and sad.  I was happy to be heading home yet oddly sad at the same time.  I had made some new friends, fished an amazing body of water and landed my biggest smallie ever.  I was happy to be heading home to see the family.  It was after all Melissa's birthday.  I knew she gave up a lot to allow me this opportunity.  I was not happy about going home empty handed in the carp department.  However, the weather was not the greatest for us while we were there.  With bags packed, the only thing left to do was to hang around and wait.


While I was waiting to leave the island, I had a chance to meet Jean-Paul Lipton who, for those that don't know, is also known as Rough Fisher.  I have to say that he ties some mean flies.  I bought some of his flies to take with me up to Beaver Island.  I would love to get some of his carp crack when I have a chance.  JP was a friendly guy.  He sat and talked with me as I smoked my last cigar.  I felt a little weird, like a creepy stalker, but I asked JP is he would be so kind as to sign my book.  I had already gotten Steve and Kevin to sign it.  I am sure they all thought I was a little squirrely and a nerd.  For me though it was a chance to get some signatures from some carpaholics.  The book I am referring to is The Orvis Guide to Fly Fishing for Carp.  Great book.


Despite my lack of carp on the trip, I still had an amazing time.  Cameron was a great host and picked a good group of liked minded fishermen.  I am glad I made new friends.  I wish I had had the chance to fish with all of them though.  Maybe next time.

There are some pros and cons about the trip as well as some lessons learned.

Pros
Met new friends
Finally put a face to the name The Fiberglass Manifesto
Caught my biggest smallie ever
Got new rods
A new experience for me overall
Camaraderie
Food (great food)
Scenery
Working with a guide

Cons
Caught no damn carp!
Missed Melissa's birthday
Difficult to get to (three plane rides for me) (this could be a Pro as well)
Weather
Can there ever really be any cons when fishing?

Lessons Learned
Practice, Practice, Practice (I was by far the worst caster there)
Despite overcast conditions, sunscreen is a must
A good pair of polarized glasses are a must (cheap ones from Walmart aren't the best)
Did I mention practicing my casting????
Overload your fly rod with a higher weight line
Don't buy clothing 12 hours before you are supposed to board a plane
Gloves are a must (I had to borrow some from Cameron)
Better planning regarding equipment (I needed an equipment bag which I didn't have)
Do not trout set-learn to strip set
Again better equipment planning

Overall I had a wonderful time and I would love to go back.  It was hard to say goodbye and leave that place.  It really is an amazing fishery.  I still can't get over just how strong those fish were.  I know I got spoiled.  I am hoping that Cameron hosts another trip next year and maybe even more importantly that he invites me back!











No comments:

Post a Comment