Largemouth Bass Lineup

Largemouth Bass Lineup

Sunday, December 30, 2012

Sigh.....

As I sit here and write this, the wind is howling outside.  The temperature is a crisp, down right cold, 23 degrees.  Snow fell yesterday for the second time this week.  Yet, despite the conditions, all I can think about is warm water fishing.  Not trout but bass and not just any bass but smallmouth bass.  I am having some serious withdrawal symptoms as of late.  All I can think about is smallmouth bass and top water, top water, top water.  I need to have an explosive strike.  I need to see it.  I need to feel it.  I need that tug on the end of my line like a crack addict needs another rock.  Too much?  Maybe.  Sorry about that but you get the idea.  I want to see the water boil as the smallie rips through it on the way to crush my popper.  Sadly, this is not to be.  I will not be throwing top water here in Maryland until at least May at the earliest.  That, of course, assumes a mild Winter and Spring.  Since I have only bad luck, I am going to say that that will be out of the question.  Now I know some of you are asking yourself why doesn't he just fish for trout?  Am I right?  Of course I am and I will believe me.  I do like fishing for trout.  Sometimes their unwillingness to eat a fly is just as endearing as a smallies willingness to eat a popper.  Each can and are special in their own right.  I am, however, a warm water fly fisherman at heart now and as such I want to do some warm water fishing.  I may need to move the family to a state that will allow me to fish for my beloved year round.

Since I can't fish for them, why not tie for them.  Great idea, right?  Yea I thought so.  However, last Sunday, my son got sick.  The tying area is in the spare bedroom since it has a television and the most room.  Well when he got sick, he stayed in there until yesterday.  Apparently in my advanced adult life I have become a germaphobe because I refuse to enter the room.  I just will not do it until Melissa cleans it from ceiling to floor, stem to stern.  So no tying either.

I do have some DVDs to watch and Youtube is also available.  For now I will have to live vicariously through movies until Mother Nature allows me the chance to throw poppers at my favorite fish.

3 comments:

  1. Bummer! I feel your pain. Having my own tying/TV/library doesn't help me. I want to get out. Well there is the fishing show next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too feel your pain. Hang in there. Spring will be here soon.

    ReplyDelete