Largemouth Bass Lineup

Largemouth Bass Lineup

Sunday, April 17, 2011

August 5, 2007

This is the date on which I made and fished my first popper.  I, of course, did a sloppy, rush job in order to get it out on the water.  I used a cork body in size 10, black and yellow paint, the same sealer (didnt let it dry), as well as yellow and black hackle but no legs.  I used the yellow hackle for the tail.  I got away from this by using squirrel and calf for the tail but it is something I am thinking about going back to and trying.  I also used 3mm doll eyes for the eyes which are now next to impossible to find.   I managed to catch 9 sunfish and one smallie on it before it started to rain really hard.  Leaving the river, I realized that I was hooked with making my own poppers.  That was almost four years ago.  I think it is important to know where you have come from to see where you are headed.  With my first and second sales of poppers completed this weekend, I took some time to look at my first popper in my display case to see just how far I have come in the construction and painting (well at least in my mind).  I am excited and nervous about this new venture upon which the wife and I have started.  J&M Flies is now officially open for business. 

6 comments:

  1. Looks like you've come along way... but that first one still looks better than mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck in your new adventure! Good to hear that was a 4 year old popper, because I thought you had hit your head or something!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!! That still is a great popper but man have you progressed!!!

    ReplyDelete